This recipe is really easy to make and I usually keep the ingredients stocked in my fridge and pantry. Lately I’ve been loving one of these hot choccies after dinner as a sweet treat or when the chocolate cravings set in (if you are a self-confessed chocoholic like I am, then this is probably quite often!).
Creamy hot chocolate
Yield 1 cup
A creamy and incredibly satisfying hot chocolate.
- 1 cup (250ml) plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon brown rice malt syrup (can be substituted for your sweetener of choice such as maple syrup)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Pinch of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- In a small saucepan on the stove, heat the milk on medium until it starts to bubble.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the cacao, rice malt syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Stir well, ensuring you break up any clumps of cacao (right about now it should start to smell incredible!).
- Once it’s fully combined, pour into your favourite mug and enjoy every single sip in the cosiest spot you can find.
For an even creamier consistency, I sometimes I use an electric milk frothing jug. I found one in a local store for under $30. If you have one of these on hand, simply add the cacao, rice malt syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt into a mug. Add hot water to cover and stir well into a thick chocolate paste. Ensure there are no lumps before adding the frothed milk. I find that I use about half as much milk this way and the texture is amazing. Gently mix the frothed milk and the chocolate paste together and enjoy!